Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Barefoot Surprise,........


It's going on almost two weeks since writing my last article. I've started this new health kick since coming back from vacation and have been on a two week organic detox. I had to do it for my personal health, because I was feeling quite toxic after returning from Mexico (drank too much and ate horribly). But now that the detox is over, I have returned to drinking wine, but will unfortunately be smoking a lot less for awhile. My cigar habit has been taking it's toll on me and I think it's for the best that I take a break. This break from tobacco does not mean I will be taking a break from my wine consumption, a much healthier vice. Me and my wife's roommate will be moving out this weekend, so we had a last hurrah dinner to celebrate our days of living under the same roof. We cooked some beef tenderloins, blanched spinach, and roasted corn. We accompanied the dinner with a 1.5 liter of Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon, a super market wine bought at the local H.E.B. Our roommate has the habit of buying a lot of wine from the grocery store, a practice I don't care to partake in. I'm not saying this to sound like a wine snob, but more like a new found anger at wine distributors who supply these grocery stores and my reluctance to support their cause (another issue and blog post coming soon). Usually I get scared by massively produced bargain wines, but I never shy away from trying any of the numerous wines that my roommate purchases. I have been surprised before, i.e. the Big House Red by Underdog Wine Merchants, and now have been surprised again by the Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon. At around $10 for a 1.5liter, this is great buy in my book and wouldn't mind keeping this around for parties and house guests. The wine had a "deliciousness factor," with loads of ripe black currant and cassis flavors backed by a modest backbone of soft, mild tannins. There wasn't a harsh bite that I get from many of these cheaper wines and I chalk that up to the softening effect via oak treatment that lends a good amount of vanillin to this wine. The wine is not complex, at 10 bones I don't expect that, but it was very serviceable and the drinkability is on par with many wines twice it's price.

No comments:

Post a Comment